The Banasurasagar Hydel Tourism is located near Padinjarethara, near Kalpetta in the Wayanad District, on the western most high lands of the Deccan Plateau and hence is also easily accessible from the cities of Mysore & Bangalore. The spillways of the Banasurasagar Reservoir which when open, deliver water to the eastward Kabini River.
With an overall length of about a Kilometer and a reservoir area of 1600 hectares with 40 Islands in it, the Banasurasagar Dam is one of the largest Earthen Dams in the continent. Strolling over the Dam, Boat riding in the vast expanse of the reservoir or just relaxing in the lap of the mythical Banasura hills are all unique experiences of a life time.
The KIDS LAND with playing area set in a wooded enclave near the boating area of Banasurasagar Hydel Tourism is really Cool . Here the contagious exuberance converts even the adults to their childhood tempo. When the crowd leaves, this area is often frequented by magnificent Peacocks from the nearby estate regions.
Hydel Tourism offers Speed Boating facilities in the magnificent waters of the Banasurasagar Reservoir. Although, Pedal Boating facilities and other amenities are also facilitated here, the caressing touch of Mother Nature is the main highlight in this pristine landscape.
The Boating facilities are provided from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm
Entrance Pass for adults with Colour Souvenir Post card : Rs. 10 /-Entrance Pass for children with illustrative colour playing card : Rs. 5/-
Cafeteria serving hot & cold beverages like Coffee, Tea, Cappuccino, Mochachino, Badam Milk, Noodles etc. is also facilitated. (Life Jackets are provided and have been made compulsory for boating) Contact Numbers: 9961091770, 9447300406, 9947873202, 9961549211, 04936 273 507
The KERALA HYDEL TOURISM CENTRE is a caring innovation from Power department, Govt. of Kerala through Kerala State Electricity Board with the Hon'ble Minister for Electricity being its Chairman . The objectives of the Centre are:
• To effectively harness the water based Tourism potential of the Hydel project areas of Kerala
• Facilitate socio-economic benefits to the remote areas that house the Hydel projects by effectively utilizing the ambience & the disused infrastructure around completed Hydel projects, but without affecting its prime functions.
• Maintenance and enhancement of ecology of the Hydel Projects and preserve them for the posterity.
• Creation of awareness on the socio-economic advantages of Hydel projects.
• Production and promotion of educative and informative publications furthering Hydel-tourism.
• Develop tourist circuits connecting Hydel Project areas in the state, organize conducted tours, provide boating and other recreational facilities for the tourists while ensuring the safety and security aspects of the vital installations.
• Fulfill the obligation to the local population affected by the implementation of the Hydel projects, by generating employment & income for them, both direct and indirect
• Develop ecologically viable Resort Complexes in the vicinity of the project areas.
• Research the impact of tourism on Hydel Power locations, associated biosphere and localized habitations.
The various destinations offered by Hydel Tourism are:
1. Banasurasagar, Wayand District, Kerala
2. Sunmoon Valley, Madupetty, Near Munnar, Idukki District
3. Trout Lagoon, Kundala, Near Munnar, Idukki District
4. Echo-point, Madupetty, Near Munnar, Idukki District
5. Hydel Park, Munnar, Idukki District
6. Poringalkuthu, Near Athirappilly, Chalakkudy, Trichur District
7. Nadukani Pavillion, Near Moolamattom, Idukki District
8. Idukki Arch Dam, Idukki District
9. Lower Meenmutty, Near Palode, Trivandrum
Hydel Tourism units at Anayirankal , Idamalayar, Kallar in Idukki Dist etc as part of the Horizontal expansion and Hydel Islandscapes , Banasurasagar and Hydel Waterscapes, Madupetty as part of the Vertical expansion are the major projects on the anvil, which will all be executed in phased manner in the days to come.